Thursday, July 24, 2008

You Never Know

You never know when you are going to run into someone who knows you. As a teacher I know that a lot more kids and a few parents are going to recognize me when I don't have a clue who they are. The other day at a local burger joint a couple with their 7 year old son asked if I was ready for school to start back up. I chatted a little bit out of courtesy and the lady finally admitted that I had her daughter in my class this year. Both parents praised my school, my team and me for what we did for them this year as they moved in mid year. Nice.

Today at the gym as I was grabbing stuff from my locker a guy asked if I was enjoying my summer. Immediately I asked if he had a child at my school and his son is going into 3rd grade this year. He said he loved our school and has 2 kids in college and he was impressed how well last year went. He said his son has a blue mohawk just like the one my principal, my friend BH and myself got in front of the school at the end of the year. I also saw another parent at the gym and came away feeling real good about our conversation as well.

I told the parent that last year was the best year I've had and I've taught for 11 years. We both agreed that we had super administrators that students, parents and maybe most importantly teachers like and trust leading. My last comment was, "I'm usually on my best behavior because you never know when your going to run into a student or a parent."

No comments: