Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight Experience

Wednesday night I schemed with a few friends a plan that involved going to see the 12:01am showing of The Dark Knight late Thursday. I figured we'd go to a local theatre a little early and get tickets since they had it showing on 3 screens. One friend called asking if we had tickets already and I said not yet. He informed me that the movie was sold out. We were both online checking out the closest theatres with no luck. About 13 miles a way a large mall that had an AMC theatre showed that they still had tickets. My friend tried to buy tickets, but it would never process his order. I called the manager and she suggested trying the automated phone system. Ring, ring, ring. Finally it hit me that my wife was meeting somewhere with a friend who lived about an hour away.

JACKPOT! She was at this mall and purchased 4 tickets for us.

3 of us left my house at 10pm and stopped by Walgreens to stock up on snacks. I wore my movie shorts with DEEP pockets. We picked up Big Mike and made it to the theatre around 10:50. The mall was closed, but the theatre inside was buzzing. I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to go right in and get good seats. I figured we'd be lined up and down a hallway and would have to wait until 10 minutes before show time.

We sat and joked for a while. I really enjoy observing the general public. 2 guys wearing Batman and Robin outfits. Girls in pajamas, one in Batman skivies. One older guy who had to be in his 80's made it slowly and gingerly to the top of the stadium seats. Lots of high schoolers and college students. Only a few married dudes like us.

We were able to get popcorn and drinks in a timely manner as this place was well prepared for the large crowd. $11 for a large popcorn and soda...WOW......nearly criminal. Most of the time I take my own popcorn in and save the $6.

We left the theatre about 2:45. I made it home at 3:30am and wasn't able to fall asleep until about 4am. My wife never knew I made it home.

Fun experience. Nice not having any commitments today (:

No comments: