Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Step Brothers Disappointment

I decided to see a movie yesterday afternoon and I narrowed it down to 2 movies that started near the 2pm timeslot that I needed. Neither of these movies are in the MUST SEE category for me, but I had spare time and the cost to go was $3.25 during the day. My choice was between Step Brothers and the X-Files movie. I'm not a big Will Farrell fan nor did I watch any of the X-Files while it was on TV in the 90s. I picked comedy over suspense.

Within the first 10 minutes I knew I would not make the movie. I thought about getting up and catching the beginning of the X-Files movie, but was not sure what theatre number it was located. I did know that Hancock started at 2:40 and it was right next door to where I was sitting. At 2:35 I visited the restroom and casually entered Hancock.

I knew there would be some crude humor in a Will Farrell movie, but there was so much profanity and vulgarity that it bothered me. The last straw, as if there needed to be one, was when Will Farrell whipped out his testicles and whiped them on his step-brother's drums. They actually showed what appeared to be testicles. I'm sure they were fake, although not 100% sure.(Will Farrell's 15 minutes of fame must be tanking fast).

I guess one thing my faith and relationship with Christ does for me is it stirs my spirit when I am around vulgarity, profanity or anything contrary to what is good in the eyes of God. I must have a long way to go in the maturity of my faith because it seems I am only offended in extreme cases like this.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has an ounce of decency in their character. Sure some of it will make you laugh, but most of it will make you cringe.

No comments: