Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Trying to Stay Cool

Came home last night to find out that our A/C wasn't working. The fan was blowing, but the unit outside wasn't working. Called one local company this morning and they were booked, but could do an after hour higher rate visit. I found a second local company and had a guy come out. He said the compressor was locked and I'd need a new unit. The dilema is do you call a few more companies or do you go with a well known local company with a full 2 page ad in the yellow pages? I got online and checked out what a 5 ton a/c heat pump would run and the unit alone is close to the price that I am paying to install it. They just arrived to install it as I began posting.

I was able to use a $200 off internet coupon AND they installed a digital thermostat at no extra cost. We also got a "no interest" loan as well.

July has been a costly month. Paid off my heart bill from January. The laptop is at the repair shop. Now the air conditioner has gone out. The month we commit to getting out of debt I have a repair that will require a 24 month installment loan.

The conversation tonight will be:
"Honey, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we have cold a/c tonight. The bad news is we'll be paying on it for 24 months."

Guess this is not life or death. I just don't like the feeling of being at the mercy of the company installing the a/c. At least with my cars I usually shop and plan 2-3 months in advance.

No comments: