Monday, November 07, 2005

The Roach and the Cricket


Why does the cricket get a free pass and the roach gets discriminated against?

I grew up in Missouri and we seemed to be plagued with huge black waterbugs that would scramble for it when the lights came on. It was normal for us to track them down and step on them creating a nice "crackle" sound. My creative brother would take an aerosol can and a lighter and even torch the legs off of these guys.

Now that I teach in an elementary school it seems like 9 out of 10 kids want to catch a cricket and let it back outside so it can make its way back into my classroom the next day. Being the responsible science teacher I allow them to scoop them up and temporarily free the cricket. Now when roaches are involved it seems as if the same 9 out of 10 would smash the roach into the carpet.

Why the free pass for the cricket and instant death for the roach?

The are very closely related. From the arthopod family and if you took them apart I think their legs and such are very interchangeable. They both make a crackle sound if stepped on and both try to run for it when pursued. I think they have both been dipped in chocolate and served as a novelty treat.

Are you a discriminator?

8 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to deanna: maybe roaches are a little more sneaky and only come out in the dark. Crickets do make there way about during the day light hours.

jules said...

When I lived in South Dakota my bedroom was in the basement, We had those huge waterbugs all the time. It still give me the willies. Yes, I discriminate. I'll leave a cricket alone, if he's not bugging the crap out of me. Then he's toast.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to pigs: I guess since the cricket can hop it is a little cooler.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to jules: We too had a basement that invited waterbug memberships.

jonny rocket said...

A year or so ago I had a pet roach in my room. I would catch a glimpse of him and reach for the shoe, but I was never fast enough. Multiple times I woke in the middle of the night, violently tossing my pillow and sheets across the room, knowing for sure that what I felt tickle my face was my little friend. That's no way to live.

Anonymous said...

i am not. My salamander Sally eats crickets in my classroom. i stomp roaches. It's a kill kill in my world!
:)

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to rocket: we lived in an older 2 bedroom home that when we turned the lights out those small kitchen roaches would start partying. nothing like turning on a light and doing my best to kill about a dozen or so. Everyonce in a while one would wonder into the bedroom...YUCK!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to txgrl: why not feed it roaches?