Sunday, November 13, 2005

Old and New

I'm teaching a bible lesson to adults that deals with how you are supposed to be different once you accept Christ as your savior. My lead in is to compare things in our everyday life that have changed in our lifetime. Some of my examples are:

Coke bottles: used to come in 32oz and 16 oz glass returnables, now they are plastic and disposable.

MTV: 1981, 99% true music videos with Marc Goodman, now Celebreality and Realworld and 1% music videos.

Potato chips: I remember buying the "twin" package, now just one big bag.

McDonalds: sit down only with outdoor tables, now all have drive thrus and playlands. Remember life before McNuggets. McDonalds is the #2 purchaser of chicken behind KFC!

What are some things in your life time that has really changed?

9 comments:

jules said...

LPs and 45s to 8 tracks, to cassette tapes to cds to ipods.

Computers moving from monster machinery that took up an entire room to what we have today.

Being able to play outside anywhere you wanted as long as you were home by the time the streetlights went on. Now kids rarely get to go out unattended and overscheduled.

Do you want me to go on?

Pigs said...

Feeling naked if I go somewhere without my cell phone. The whole phone market: voice mail/answering machines/Caller ID, etc. A long way from my rotary dial phone with the 50 foot cord.

Artistic Soul said...

The MTV thing really annoys me. I hate how they created MTV2 so they would have time to program music videos!! One thing that is different for me is that wine comes in crew caps now instead of corks -- the screw cap used to be a sign that the wine was terrible, but now it's actually more high tech and advanced. Who knew?

Bill Victor said...

I've gone from being a 7 pound infant to a thirty eight year old man...oh and the internet.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to Jules: okay, you have seniority on this one.

The MAN Fan Club said...

reply to pigs: STILL don't have a cell phone. I remember selling Jeeps in the early 90's and wondering "Who was so important that we had to transfer their car phone from one vehicle to the next." Who would have thought.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to wiccachicky: I don't even have MTV programmed anymore. My friend billyv and I grew up on MTV and Friday Night Videos for those who hadn't yet gotten cable.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to billyv: I think you missed by a year. Try 39!

Yes, and the internet.

Anonymous said...

Commercials in movies!! Drives me CRAZY!

Email explosion. i didnt have email in highschool, now it's my lifeline...