Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Hideout

When my wife informed me that she intended to come home on Tuesday instead of tonight my number one goal became avoiding trick or treaters at all costs.

First of all we finally got rain on the last day of the month and I thought maybe Halloween would get rained out. No such luck, only recess was rained out. Then I developed my plan. I brought a friend's car home from school and detailed it knowing that I needed to finish by 5:30 or else I could get caught by the early bird Halloweeners. 5:35 and I was out of here. I then decided to go the outlet mall to purchase shoes at the Reebok store. There were actually kids in costumes begging for candy at the mall. Who trick or treats at a mall????

Having finished my shopping by 6:15 I went and purchased dinner. 1/2 price night at Golden Chick. The drive home down side streets was probably the toughest part of the evening. I had to make sure no kids darted out into the street and had to avoid cars on both sides of the road with their flashers on as they followed kids. We're obese America, GET OUT AND WALK!

Seeing a few kids close to my house I turned my headlights off as I pulled into the driveway. Tennis shoes and chicken waiting to be taken inside. After one group walked past my house I opened my car door knowing the domelight was out which meant a better chance of not being had. I made it in and peeked outside making sure nobody followed me up the sidewalk.

Once inside it was LIGHTS OFF! It was tough navigating my house with the lights out. No way was I turning a light on allowing someone to find out I was home. I did turn the overhead stove light on along with a nightlight in back of the house. A few times I peeked out the window knowing someone would find out I was home. Imagine how tough it was finding a black remote control in a dark house.

Well, it is nearing 9pm and nobody has approached our house. I've won, unless some teenagers come around like a few years ago ringing door bells well after decent trick or treating hours. If someone does ring the bell they are going to get an individual serving of cereal that I've stockpiled from school for months. Halloween hasn't cost me a dime. For the first time in my life I didn't even purchase a pumpkin.

The MAN is getting old! If my kids were home tonight I would definitely have enjoyed taking them around the neighborhood trying to find which houses contained people and candy.

10 comments:

Pigs said...

You're starting to sound like quite the miser....an old, cranky one. Bah! Can't wait until Christmas.

Anonymous said...

YOu're not told, YOu'll still like getting out the babies when they want to go. Esp the lil one. Its too cute to watch them toddle around, :)
My complaint about this evening: teens in NO costume walking around. If your 15 year old wants to go out, FINE, but make him dress up! We went to Kessler Park, an old money part of oak cliff and its always PACKED. My best friend's parents live there and it's our tradition, but good grief. Lots of alternative lifestyles there...which to Tay just means decorated houses and full size candy bars. To me it's going to be some 'splaining later in life...
good times.

Artistic Soul said...

hahahahahaha - luckily for me I was in class. I did have a little candy my roommate gave out to a few kids that stopped by, but that was $2 or so, so I didn't mind much.

Anonymous said...

I actually take my daughter to the mall to go trick or treating. I feel it is safer than walking the dark streets at night. We were going to do that last night but ended up taking her to a friends neighborhood. Whenever we walked by a house with no porch light on (even if the lights in the house were on) we wouldn't even go near it. Usually people are pretty ggod about it. I am sorry you had to hide out though. I wouldn't have wanted to do that.

Bill Victor said...

Think about the mall: no danger in the streets; safe environment; and everyone goes to the mall, they don't come to your house. You need to not only embrace mall trick or treating, you need to promote it.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to pigs: I'm still good with Christmas. I still get gifts from Santa Claus-SPOILER AHEAD-my mom. I don't do the "secret Santa" thing at school too well. You better hope I don't get your name.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to txgrl: yes, I hate the teens who go around. If you look at them wrong they'll do up your house too!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to wiccachicky: someone had to stay back and man the fort. At least you did your party on the weekend!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to Deanna: I did feel like a prisoner in my own home.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to billyv: Yeah, BillyV, that just might work! I think you and I should dress up like a girls group!