Monday, October 17, 2005

Barter and Trade

Saturday morning I was asked to detail a few vehicles for a friend from church. His family was having a yardsale so I went and detailed in his driveway. First vehicle was a soft-top Jeep that I really enjoy doing so I only charged $30. I also did his full sized 4 door Lexus for only $40. I ended up detailing a Mustang Convertible so for about 5 hours of work I made $100, cash. A typical full detail can run anywhere between $100 and $200 for what I do. So I give great deals. I will do his Suburban for a trade out. This friend sells Christmas trees so I'll get to pick out a tree worth as much as $75. Nice deal for both of us. Costs him very little and it only costs me time and about $5 worth of materials.

Top 5 things I've traded details for:
5. Cash or check
4. Child Care-I detailed a car Sunday for a friend who will watch my kids
3. Tickets to a Cardinal/Rangers game
2. Christmas trees
1. Friendship( I have done a few for free for those special friends )

Now that the weather is A LITTLE cooler I will try to drum up some detail business. It makes for good spending $$$$$$. I am trying to line up a few details for a guy I know that owns a restaraunt. Details for fajitas!

8 comments:

Artistic Soul said...

That is awesome that you have this kind of system. I have a few things that work like that, but nothing to the same extent. I proofread a lot of papers and offer comments on academic work a lot -- this usually gets me some free dinner here and there, but nothing like a good Xmas tree!! :o)

Bill Victor said...

Thanks for buying my friendship! Hey, I need one more detail before I move. Do it or I won't be your friend. Seriously, tomorrow night, NLCS viewing? Let me check with the wife.

Pigs said...

And don't forget all the free food and plants you managed to snarf today. :o)

(Found ya!)

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to wiccachicky: I'm going for a bigger, nicer tree this year.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to Billyv: "MAYBE" Saturday or while you are packing your truck I could do one last detail for the Texas Victors!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to wps:

I think many of these donators could get a receipt on their charity.

Judypatooote said...

I think bartering is a great idea. I am getting ready for a craft sale at my daughters church....Christmas wreaths, and warm fuzzy scarfs....my problem is if someone likes something i made, i usually give it to them...i have to get stronger and keep my lips zipped...lol ps. I won't give anything away at the sale though....

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to judy:

I feel like I am the same way. I usually give me services away for free or too cheap!