Thursday, October 20, 2005

Buddy Gone Bad

I posted on one of my blogs a while back about being excited about my under $20 Walmart tennis shoe purchase and referred to discount shoes as "BUDDY." In St. Louis we would make fun of the guy who bought his shoes at KMart. Traxx were the bottom of the line entry level shoes. I've had my shoes for about 2 months and they are actually comfortable and decent looking. Well, today my buddy purchase has gone bad. At first I noticed an air swish sound everytime I took a step with my left foot. Not loud, but annoying once I noticed it. I finally sat down at work and looked closer at the shoe and then noticed a seam coming undone leaving a hole big enough for me to poke my finger through. I assume nobody but me noticed as I walked around the Arboretum most of the afternoon.

Guess I'll have to upgrade my next purchase to Outlet Mall status. Jump from the self imposed $20 level to the under $40 level. Reebok here I come.

I have reached a theory on shoe purchases. They will last one month for each $10 you spend. I think this applies only to tennis shoes or sneakers.

7 comments:

Pigs said...

They're adding a new Nike store too! You'd better watch that swish sound around ten year olds. I could foresee some jokes.

Bill Victor said...

I tried to tell ya, don't skimp on footwear.

Anonymous said...

I have bought shoes at discount places like payless and they have lasted me for years. I think it all depends on how much you wear them and what you in them when you are wearing them. I would never spend more than $25 on a pair of tennis shoes.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to pigs: I am always up for being the person that others are chuckling about.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to BillyV: Yeah, how long did thos Nike's from 1979 last you anyway? I think you taped them up after that b-ball incident.

True: don't skimp on shoes, mattress or vehicle tires.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to Deanna: may have to go by Payless this weekend. I am in need of a whole wardrobe of shoes.

Artistic Soul said...

Go for Payless. It really does matter how much you wear them, but I bought my current black boots there a little over two years ago, wear them at least 4 times a week, and they cost about $50. More than $20, but they last a long time!