Saturday, March 25, 2006

Booming Town

I live in an area where they are building more than 1500 new homes per year. This suburb of Dallas has grown from about 40,000 people in 1996 to about 75,000 in 2006. For the longest time we would often venture out of town to shop and eat. There was one major road with most of the eating places: LJ Silvers, Arbys, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and a few local type places. Slowly as the city began to develop a few more places were added.

Since moving back to this area in 2002 there have been many restaurants added: Steak n Shake, Roly Poly Sandwiches, Wendys, Texas Roadhouse, Saltgrass Steaks, La Madeline, Scotty Ps, Chipotle, McAllisters, Cafe Brazil, Dodeys Cajun, Panera, Snuffers, Panda Express Buffet, Fast Eddies Burgers, A & D Buffalo Wings, Philly Connection, Mr. Jims Pizza, etc. The point is we rarely have to leave town in order to enjoy a lunch or dinner.

Bad News/Good News

Bad: Fast Eddies is officially closed. This was my Monday night place to go. I could take my family there and eat for about $8. Sometimes on Fridays I would venture here to pick up lunch for the teachers. We would order the kids meals and only spend about $5 per person. After posting this now I know why they went out of business. I'm cheap! They did have some of the best fries in town.

Good: Within 1/2 miles from my house they appear to building a QT gas station. It is conveniently located for me meaning I would not have to make any high risk turns or even have to wait at any lights to get there. This is good news because they always have the best fountain drinks and even have fresh brewed tea. The 32 oz. usually costs 79 cents and often in the summer they have the Summer Quart sale for 49 cents. I will be able to buy 2 drinks cheaper than what it costs to buy one at either Sonic, McD's, or any other local gas station.

No comments: