Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Soldier Appreciation

I feel fortunate that I do not know many people who have served in Iraq these past 3 years. I haven't had to worry about something bad happening to a close friend. I really only know one person personally who has served in Iraq. I met RB about 20 years ago thru mutual friends at an indoor soccer facility. As our circles entwined we got to know each other thru parties, softball, float trips and such. I was lucky enough to sell RB a car also....I think, it's been a LONG time since then.

Back then I remember RB spending a few weeks and weekends a year training for the Army Reserves. I think it paid a little bit and back then who would have thought it would mean committing your time and possibly your life serving overseas in a strange country.

About 3 years ago March I returned home for the funeral of an uncle and while in town I went to a going away to serve party for RB. Since this time RB has served 2 tours of duty in Iraq and hopefully he is finished.

I really appreciate what he gave up in order to defend strangers and to provide a safer country for me to live in. RB left behind his wife, 2 children, friends and a job. Not sure who had the greater sacrifice, RB or his family.

While in town this past March I really wanted to do something for RB and his family and was thinking about getting a gift certificate to the movie theatre or possibly a bowling alley so he could take his family out without cost. My good friend recommended a certain Mexican restaurant so I picked up a gift certificate. After having this certificate for a month I finally called and got his address. Now I need to personally handwrite a thank you note to this great guy and his family.

Thanks RB!

No comments: