Monday, April 16, 2007

End of the Rumors

The 3 1/2 years at my current teaching position is the longest I've endured this far in my career. I've had stints of 1 1/2 years, 1 year, 2 years, 1 year, 3 months and now 3 1/2 years. Recently some people at my building have been asking my closest peers if I am interviewing with another district. That said I am currently interviewing with my wife's Small District and have survived the first 2 interviews: one by phone, another last Saturday.

Tonight I got an email to interview for the NEXT round. 1000+ applications:10 jobs, 1% chance.

As I ponder what to do I am currently fidgeting and bounding my leg. I'm sure I will be gritting my teeth to the point of needing Advil to relieve the pain.

My biggest worry switching districts is expectations. For 8 1/2 years I've basically had teaching positions where I really was left alone. I've never had anyone looking over my shoulder, yet feel that I am a good teacher who is great at relationships with parents, students and co-workers. My biggest fear is getting into a situation where I am micro-managed having someone looking over my shoulder all of the time. I get the feeling from my wife that Small District is more concerned about what is going on in each classroom and is very involved in visiting classrooms.

Time to pray! If I do switch positions it will just have to feel like the right thing to do.

No comments: