Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Announcing

High school volleyball announcing ended for me about 3 weeks ago and tonight officially kicked off the girls basketball season and I am announcing my 3rd year for the girls. If the boys coach ever asks I'll probably start announcing my 4th year for the boys program. I've also announced football, wresting one year and most likely will do softball next spring. I really enjoy announcing and get so pumped up for the player introductions. I used to get nervous, but now I do most of the announcing unscripted. During the volleyball season on 2 occasions referees made comments that I was the best announcer that they've every heard. I loved hearing that. Our athletic trainer usually comments, "Great music tonight."

I do my best to present a quality product on a paupers budget. I have rag tag cds put together and remixed over and over. During the players warm ups I will play mostly music that the players have put together as long as it is clean, clean from words and suggestiveness. It is difficult screening some of the crap that is out there. Once the game is going I feel it is my job to keep the tempo of the crowd and game itself upbeat. Whether we are up 20 points or down 20 I try to stay upbeat. In the past I was told that a visiting coach had complaints that I was more of a cheerleader than an announcer so I have toned down my biased game calling.

On a typical night I may leave the house about 6:30 for a 7:3o game that could go as late as 9:30. I think I make about $35 a game and it does tie up about 3 hours of my time. My question is, "Is it really worth it?" During basketball season I may announce 2 nights a week taking me away from family. When my wife stayed home the extra $200-$300 a month did come in handy, but now the extra isn't as crucial. All told I do REALLY enjoy being around the athletes, the games and sports in general. I always said I wish I could announce full time and teach part time.

No comments: