Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Blessings and Sacrifice

Blessings:

As I deal with my stubborn 5 year old daughter on a daily basis I was able to make a connection during church Sunday. I told her that if she were obedient in a reasonable timeframe and manner I would LOVE to do so much more for her and with her. I'd love to heap blessings upon her, yet she often needs 2-5 reminders and threats before she follows thru sometimes. I then reflected that God wants to bless us all the time, yet he withholds blessings from us because we are not fully obedient to him. Sure my salvation is unconditional, but God wants to do so much more for me and with me, yet I am stubborn and fail to do what he really wants.

Sacrifice:

I feel it would so much easier to point out other people's needs to give things up for God than to examine myself. As the pastor talked about making sacrifices that would build our relationship with Christ I thought of what I could give up and focus on spending more time reading the bible, praying and just being saturated in wholesome, edifying things. Maybe it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict us on things. Last night I did decided to not get involved in the new show on FX called The Riches. After about the 3rd or 4th profane word I decided, "That's it" and turned off the TV. Sad thing is I knew before watching it that I should make the sacrifice.

The pastor said the average person spends up to 30 hours a week watching TV and I thought no way. Then I thought that 99% of the time that we are home the TV is on whether we are really watching it or not. What if I had a simple plan such as reading or studying the bible 30 minutes for every hour that I watch TV. How much more in tune with the Holy Spirit and God's plan for me would I be? LOTS, I'm sure.

No comments: