Sunday, February 12, 2006

Financial relief

Our tax return came as expected Friday and it was about the equivalent of one month's paycheck so it definitely boosted our bank account. With my wife staying home and only doing some tutoring we have scraped by for about a year and a half so this is a huge relief for us as I'll get paid in 4 days also.

So what does this mean for us?

At least Friday it meant being able to order lunches for everyone without first having to collect money so I could pay. It meant actually filling up both vehicles instead of putting in $5. $5 went a lot farther in my 65 Chevy Malibu about 20 years ago. It also meant going shopping Saturday morning without wincing at the final bill. It also meant being able to play poker Saturday night without worrying about losing $5.

It will mean buying my wife nicer flowers for Valentine's Day. It will mean being able to enjoy my 40th birthday next weekend. It will allow us to buy decent pots and pans instead of cooking on the $19 set we bought at Christmas that are ready for the trash. It will also allow us to pay off our car, give more to the church than we gave all of last year, pay a few other debts down, and it will surely reduce the financial stress level here in our house.

Tonight we went to a Conquering Debt God's Way workshop and we are probably going to start working on getting mostly out of debt altogether. But, for right now we will breath easy, get 2 drinks at dinner time instead of one, get the oil changes that are 3 months over due, and we will not worry about overdrafting our account for a month or two.

11 comments:

Pigs said...

And I owe you ten bucks. Forgot to pay you. Remind me tomorrow.

Artistic Soul said...

I need to get my taxes in. I could really use the money back, and I should get a decent chunk since I bought a house this year.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to kvkid: I detail cars, not change oil. I can get an oil change for about $20.

Cash, credit, no difference. Your best bet is to act like you don't want to buy the car or NEED to buy the car. Walk away.......then come back or let them beg you to buy it.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to wiccachicky: The house helps! Go to www.taxact.com. It is real easy.

Pigs said...

I get no reply? I'm hurt.

MommyProf said...

Good for you! I know it will feel awesome to be debt free.

Anonymous said...

we need to talk about this oil change deal.. we can work something out, i change ur oil - u detail mine -- something!

CB

Anonymous said...

It is always nice to get that extra money especially if you forgot it was coming in or you knew it was coming but didn't expect it yet.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to pigs"No reply": you got no reply because I had talked to you about the $10 already.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to CB: You just pitch in and cover me next time I need it and I'll detail that LITTLE Honda anytime. Lots easier than the Ford.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Reply to deanna: didn't know we would get so much....nice!