Saturday, December 09, 2006

Barter and Trade

Today we picked up a Christmas tree, an 8 foot Noble fir. Once again I worked out a trade, one tree valued at $129, for 3 full auto details. The question is, who got the better deal? I know my costs for detailing. I may spend $10 total in supplies, but will spend at least 6+ hours in time detailing these cars. When I charge for detailing I figure my time to be worth $25 per hour and now that my wife is working I'm not as desperate for cash so it may go to $30 per hour. That said, the retail value of 3 auto details is probably between $150-$200. So, what did the tree REALLY cost my friend? He is paying a decent price for the month for a prime location just off the highway AND he has a huge tent with all the trees displayed on stands. His hired help is probably pretty cheap since it is mostly high school students who hustle for minimum wage plus tips.

All I know is both sides walk away happy. We are not out of pocket for the Christmas tree and it may be months before I detail any cars.

By the way we figured our tree to be about 9 years old. I showed my daughter how to count rings to see how old trees are. My 3 choices for trees were Douglas Fir, Grand Fir, Noble Fir. They were a lot more expensive than the ones at Home Depot, but "supposedly" they don't sit in a warehouse before being shipped out. I just hope it stays lifelike for 2 more weeks.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: