Thursday, December 01, 2005

Hanging out with an 18 month old

Wednesday night I cancelled a scheduled auto detail because it was a little windy, we had a baby shower for a fellow worker after work, and I have been having sinus issues with a sore throat. So I came home really just wanting to rest. I got to hang out with my 18 month old son alone since my wife and daughter have church things to do on Wednesday nights.

I had a blast. I brought home hot chili for me, a burger for him, and fries for the both of us. We ate dinner in the dark while watching ESPN. He is actually starting to put dents into meals and will start costing us soon. From 4:30 to 8:30 we did nothing but hang out, watch tv, and play around. His favorite thing of the night was letting me hit a small Clifford ball with a bowling pin and he would FETCH it. He'd laugh any time it would hit a wall and come right back to us. His second favorite thing to do was shove french fries in my mouth. Now I have an excuse for being a plunky guy. He also enjoyed climbing all over me while I lay on the couch with remote in hand.

About 8:45 I went to put him down for the night and when I said, "night night time" he shook his head no. Since Grandma came to town he has started crying when we put him down for the night. Last night I was firm and said, "You need to go night night and I'll see you tomorrow." Thankfully he lay his head down on his pillow and I shut the door without him making a sound.

Selfishly I would have liked to have a totally peaceful night. I ended up being blessed with a fun night with my son. It just takes effort sometimes to receive such easy blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an eventful evening. I have had the same, expecting for a nice quiet evening but hung out with my daughter instead and the evening still turned out good either way.

The MAN Fan Club said...

I think he had fun since it was just he and I.