Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Jury Duty

I skirted jury duty for 28 years and finally this week I had to serve. Some of that could be due to the fact that my wife and I lived in 7 places the first 7 years of our marriage. We have currently been in this house for 6+ years and it caught up with me.

I actually got my summons back in August but postponed serving due to teacher inservice commitments before school started. I planned a day off from school and had a lesson that was easy for a substitute to implement.

I arrived at 8:05, but didn't have to be there until 8:30. All potential jurors were filed into a large room with at least 400 chairs and the room ended up being full. We watched a powerpoint and a 15 minute video showing us what to expect. Finally about 10am a lady came in with 2 sheets of paper and called somewhere between 25-40 people per group and called 2 groups. My name was not called. After the last group was lead to a court room we were released. It was 10:37. Part of me wanted to experience being a juror though.

I had heard many stories of people being let go early so I was planning my FREE day. I was hoping to make a 10am Weight Watchers meeting, but was about 30 minutes too late. So on the way home I stopped and washed my truck. It was still before 11am so I figured I could take lunch to my wife. I surprised her and had lunch with her at 11:45. After lunch I came home for about 30 minutes to get workout clothes. I watched "W" at the $3.25 show and DID NOT order popcorn. Had I made the 10am weigh in I guarantee you I would have splurged for the $10 large combo. After the movie I went and picked my daughter up and went to the gym. 2 miles on the treadmill, 15 minutes in the dry sauna, 5 in the hot tub and then on to Weight Watchers. I lost 1.8 pounds of the 3.4 I had gained* the 2 weeks prior(St. Louis food).

It was nice having a free day!

*I have a deal with my students that they receive a reward on any Tuesday following a gain and I've only had to pay one time. Talk about accountability. It will not happen again.

No comments: