As we prepared to sit down for our weekly staff meeting I commented that staff meetings are on the top 5 list for things that I despise. As I talked with a coworker I thought this would be a good topic to comment on.
Top 5 Things I Feel Like My Time Has Been Wasted and I'll NEVER Get That Time Back:
5. Wrong turns: I'm talking about BIG wrong turns. On our way from St. Louis to Cincinnati I missed the cut off and ended up adding 3 hours to our trip and missed part of the funeral visitation. My fault? Or was it Illinois poor signage? Mine I guess. I hated driving knowing we SHOULD already be there.
4. Traffic: I HATE sitting in traffic and I am so glad I don't drive in traffic. I work 3 miles from my house and encounter 1 major traffic light.
3. Childcare: At church I am on a rotation to watch kids from 9:30-11:00 once every 10 weeks. I HATE THIS TIME!
2. Staff meetings: I'm talking about the team building ones. Some staff meetings are okay, but a few I've attended have wasted an hour or so of my time and I'LL NEVER GET THAT TIME BACK. Going to a writing meeting when I teach math and science. OR, sitting for an hour learning about our new online appraisal system only to be told 3 days later it isn't going to happen this year.
1. Staff developments: As teachers we are required to attend up to 18 hours of professional developments. Some apply, most don't. These are OFF CONTRACT time. Right now I have about 40 hours, 22 above what I NEED.
What situations cause you to feel like your time is being wasted and you can't do much about it?