Monday, February 25, 2008

The Daniel Diet

For 10 days my wife and I will be eating mainly fruits and vegetables along with some nuts. This idea comes from the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. Read the following where the king finds men to train for 3 years and they are given royal foods and wines. David did not want to defile himself and asked if he and his men could eat just fruits and vegetables. When the royal servant showed concern saying how would he answer the king when David and his men showed up at the end of 3 years of training looking weaker than the men who got the royal foods. David reponded,

12 "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see." 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.
15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.


A friend of mine says he often goes on this type of fast when he has hit rock bottom with his eating habits. I really feel I've hit rock bottom as well. It is possible to lose 5-10 pounds during this time, but as always, consult with your own doctor before trying such a plan.

I've done fine so far today. No headaches and no caffeine. I ate a real late breakfast about 10am: small orange and a small apple. Around noon I had a can of cooked corn and a jar of my dad's homegrown green beans. I also drank a small cup of pineapple juice along with a few sunflower seeds and almonds. My afternoon snack was a banana and I just had a small tomato soup.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: