Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Letter

After returning from our Christmas break visiting family in St. Louis I really felt the need to write my dad a letter letting him know how much he means to me. He's 67, lives alone, has been retired from working at a GM factory for 16 years and a few years ago he had a liver scare and quit drinking. Well, last Spring his younger brother was arrested on a cold case and he's slipped back into the drinking habit. He's been given a decent bill of health so I guess that with the stress of what is happening to his brother pushed him to drink again.

One day last week I awoke about 3am to use the restroom. I couldn't get back to sleep so about 3:30 I decided to hammer out a letter on the computer. I finished about 5am. I saved it and edited it a few times and finally last Friday I sent it.

Tonight he called me telling me that he got it. He said he cried a lot and really felt appreciated. He said he had a good day. My neice, his granddaughter, had minor surgery today and that went well too. This on top of possible news that his brother is innocent and should be released pretty soon.

We also had an early release day. I walked 2 miles on the treadmill and played basketball. Overall a good day for me too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet he really enjoyed getting that letter. Good job

Anonymous said...

Great story....I am glad you did what you did.

huffdaddy