Tuesday, May 26, 2009

$3 Newspaper

It wasn't long ago that I faced a dilemna, pay 75 cents for the USA Today or just 50 cents for the Dallas Morning News. I still quartered up for the USA Today. That was about 2 years ago when the Sunday paper was still $1.50 for one and $2 for 2. I stopped in yesterday to get Sunday's paper just for the coupons. Guess what? This Sunday paper didn't have the coupons this go around. I don't know if I was more mad at the $3, the no coupons, or a combination of both.

I understand readership to newspapers that you actually hold is on a sharp decline, but wont raising your price so sharply, so quickly decrease a dwindling readership base even faster?

The best deal I saw 2 years ago was at the Texas State Fair when the Dallas Morning News was giving $50 in fair vouchers away for a 13 week subscription for about the same price. I didn't see that deal this year. You know I looked for it too!

2 comments:

MommyProf said...

If you are getting the paper at a store or machine, sometimes people take extra coupon inserts when they get one. I always check to make sure one is in there before I take a paper, if that's what I'm buying one for.

Little known fact - if you go to the store where you buy papers at the end of Sunday, sometimes they will let you take coupon sections from the unsold papers if you ask.

The MAN Fan Club said...

MommyProf,

That does sound like something I'd try to hook up with. I don't really read much of the paper anyway.

Our neighbor belongs to an email list and she was told that there were no coupons this past weekend.