Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sucker in the Room

I really enjoy mowing and I also enjoy performing acts of service for people. Recently I was asked to mow for a coworker whom I know is stuggling financially. The place is a bit out of the way, but I agreed to mow in exchange for future childcare. A fair trade in my mind is one mow, worth about $30, in exchange for about 3-4 hours of sitter service. Well, my coworker was just put on bedrest since she is having sciatic back problems while being pregnant. I know what this means, I'm mowing for charity.

Is it wrong for me to not want to continue mowing? My wife suggested I tutor her husband and teach him to mow. Is it wrong for me to mention to my coworker that maybe it is time that her husband take over mowing responsibilities? That is what homeowners do..take care of their lawns.

I'll struggle with this one. As Matt Damon says in the beginning of the poker movie Rounders, "If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." That is kind of how I feel right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he is capable, he needs to do it. PERIOD. Helping is one thing, taken advantage of is another. You have to look at it from a biz standpoint, you were doing a service & getting 'paid' for it. They can no longer 'pay' so IF he is capable, then he needs to do it.

CAB

unt grad said...

I think you should tutor the husband. He's part of the reason she's having trouble, so he should be part of the solution. He's a big boy he can handle it.